Year: 2009

Subversion plugin for Eclipse

After installing Eclipse 3.4 (from – the version in the intrepid repository is still 3.2.2), I also wanted to install the subversion plugin. However, after I installed the plugin through the eclipse software update manager, each subversion operation showed the message “unable to load default svn client”. Searching google for this message gave some hints to add

-Djava.library.path=/usr/share/java/ -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jni/
to eclipse.ini. Still, this was not sufficient – it is of course also necessary to install the appropriate libraries. These are contained in the package libsvn-java. After also installing this package, the subversion plugin is now working.

New Linux installation

A couple of weeks ago, I installed kubuntu 8.10 as my primary operating system. My debian installation was quite outdated, because I did not change much in the last – well – two years or so. I really needed a stable system, but now it was time to update to a recent distribution. Even though I have a 64 bit CPU, I decided to install the 32 bit version of Kubuntu. The main reason was that in the past I often had issues with software which was not yet available for 64 bit Linux. The plan is to use a stable 32 bit system for daily usage, and create either chroot environments for other usage (like a debian unstable environment) or even use virtual machines when necessary. Installation of Kubuntu was quite straight forward, and I will talk about some of the less straight forward things in some upcoming posts.