Yesterday, I spontaneously decided to replace the XFree86 X server with the new X.org X server on my desktop computer. A simple “apt-get install xserver-xorg discover1 mdetect xresprobe” was sufficient to migrate the server. I already heard that migration is quite simple and problem-free, so I was strained what would happen after I restarted the X server. I was excited that the server indeed started up and displayed the window manager, so at least the basic setup worked. I only had to make two additional refinements:
- I replaced the “nv” driver with the “nvidia” driver. This involved re-installing the nvidia driver, because the installation I used for XFree86 did not work anymore.
- I removed resolutions which I do not want to use; the one which was used as default caused the monitor to run at 60 Hz or similar.
Of course, I also tried some of the new features, especially transparency. To enable these features, the “Composite
” extension must be activated with an entry like
Option "Composite" "true"
in the xorg.conf configuration file. However, for NVidia cards, this has the effect that the “glx
” extension can not be used anymore. This can be changed by adding “Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
” to the “Device
” section in the xorg.conf file. Then, applications which use glx (like glxgears
) work again.
I then activated transparency in the KDE control center. However, the “nvidia” driver seems to be really unstable when activating this feature, the X server crashed several times. So I switched back to the “nv” driver, which seems to be more stable. In either case, moving transparent windows was very slow, and also adding “Option "RenderAccel" "true"
” as sometimes suggested did not help. For now, I deactivated the transparency feature again, but I look forward to this being more stable, because it looks really cool!