I started to debug korganizer this evening, because the exchange plugin added appointments downloaded from an Exchange server one hour too early. After building kdepim from the debian source package, the first thing I learned is how to debug plugins (see KDE developers FAQ) (thanks, Mirko):
KDE searches its libraries in $KDEDIR/lib and in the lib directory of all the components of $KDEDIRS. So, while you are still developing your library and don’t want to install it, you can use this trick:This worked perfectly, and after some time of debugging I found the reason for the problem: libkpimexchange/core/utils.cpp contains the functin utcAsZone() which returns the local time for a given UTC time and time zone. The time zone is passed as id in the form “Country/City”, like “Europe/Berlin”. Inside this function, the function icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone_from_tzid() from the ical library is called which shall return a time zone structure by its id. However, this function does something different: it expects the passed string to be in a specific format (it has to start with the prefix “/softwarestudio.org/”, for example) and extracts the time zone id from this string. So, of course, it could never find a matching time zone… The fix seems to be quite simple: just use icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone() instead, which directly works on the “Country/City” format. Then, downloading appointments from the exchange server works well again. [UPDATE] I checked in the KDE svn repository: The very same fix has already been committed about two weeks ago 🙂
Now, KDE should find your library when using KTrader or KLibLoader.
- cd to your development directory, the one where your library is built.
- Set up KDEDIRS so that it include your development directory: export KDEDIRS=`pwd`:$KDEDIR
- Create a pseudo lib directory where KDE should find your component: ln -s .libs lib
- Run kbuildsycoca to inform KDE that it KDEDIRS has changed.