A couple of weeks ago, I installed kubuntu 8.10 as my primary operating system. My debian installation was quite outdated, because I did not change much in the last – well – two years or so. I really needed a stable system, but now it was time to update to a recent distribution. Even though I have a 64 bit CPU, I decided to install the 32 bit version of Kubuntu. The main reason was that in the past I often had issues with software which was not yet available for 64 bit Linux. The plan is to use a stable 32 bit system for daily usage, and create either chroot environments for other usage (like a debian unstable environment) or even use virtual machines when necessary. Installation of Kubuntu was quite straight forward, and I will talk about some of the less straight forward things in some upcoming posts.